{Apple Cider Doughnuts}

Baked Apple Cider Donuts

1 cup whole-wheat flour

1 cup all purpose white flour

1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 egg

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

2 apples finely diced, unpeeled

1/3 cup pure maple syrup

1/3 cup apple cider

1/3 cup sour cream

3 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla

cinnamon and sugar


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease two donut pans and set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside. Chop apple into small pieces or use food processor to puree and set aside. In a large bowl combine egg, brown sugar, apple, vanilla, maple syrup, apple cider, sour cream, and oil and apples. Mix until well blended. In small amounts add in flour mixture and beat until just moistened. Spoon dough into donut pan, be careful not to overfill pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.


While donuts are baking, prepare a shallow bowl with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Once donuts have finished baking, immediately place donut in cinnamon sugar bowl  over warm bottoms. Serve and Enjoy.

IMG_0978

 

These little gems were made this morning by a recipe I modified from somewhere. I should start remember those things, like WHERE recipes come from. But alas, it’s low on my priority list. I made these doughnuts in a mini bundt pan because I don’t have a real doughnut pan since I don’t make pastry items all that often. The Marine is a pastry aficionado, not I.

I am a proud member of the NOT A FAN OF PASTRIES club.

IMG_0984 However, these have been a favorite for YEARS. I used to purchase them at Red Apple Farm in Phillipston, Massachusetts ( a town very close to where we bought our first home). They have amazing doughnuts made from their own apples and homemade apple cider. That is the cider I miss, real, authentic, yumminess. I have to settle for Wal-mart’s nasty version until I make a trip to Julian, Ca.

IMG_0989

These pictures do NOT do these doughnuts any justice. I am an Okay picture taker, but without natural light in my kitchen because it’s still 100 plus degrees outside and I have curtains keeping the sun out, these will have to do.

IMG_0991  These are suppose to be for tomorrow’s Party, but I don’t think they’ll last that long. I’ve already had three and the Marine isn’t even home to try them yet…

I may have to double it for tomorrow and be done with it. They could be our dessert. Since our dinner is BREAKFAST! Yum.

French toast.

bacon.

bacon.

bacon.

sausage.

chorizo eggs

biscuits and gravy.

hash browns.

veggies optional. IMG_0985

Comments