Milspouse Quiz/Getting to know SOME things..
1. Where did you and your Spouse meet? Online. In a chat room, circa 2000, before it was "cool" and there were an abundance of internet dating sites to make the magic happen. :)
2. How old were you when you met? I was 19, The Marine was 21.
3. How long have you been together? We've been married since 14Feb 2001. Dated in Oct 2000. 11 yrs.
4. Where are you and your spouse originally from? I'm from Ohio (the great fabulous Midwest) The Marine's from Northern Arkansas.
5. How did you feel about him joining the military? He was already in the military when I met him. There wasn't a way out of it. Then came re-enlistment and another and now, we're indefinite thanks to promotion :)
6. Where did you spouse go to basic training? MCRD San Diego, he's a "Hollywood" Marine.
7. Has your spouse ever been deployed? Yes, three times. Okinawa, Iraq x 2.
8. Ever been to his promotion ceremony? Yes, four times. Sgt, SSgt, and two more I shant say to NOT give away his rank. :D
9. How long have you been a military wife? Almost 11 years; our entire married life.
10. Did you marry him before or after he joined? After. He was in almost four yrs before I came along.
11. How did your husband propose? Pizza Hut Parking Lot in Havelock, NC. Funny story read it here.
12. Where did you get married? Harrison, Arkansas, 0800 in the courtyard outside in a gazebo by a Pastor.
13. How old were you when you got married? I just turned 20, he was 21, almost 22.
14, Did he wear his uniform on your wedding day? Nope; we both wore gray.
15. Where are you and your spouse currently stationed? The midwest's finest Indianapolis.
16. Do you live on base? There isn't even a base here, so no.
17. How long were you married before you had to go through a separation? The first actual separation was some field trainings and that happened almost right away. Deployment was about 2 years in because he re-enlisted and needed more schooling apparently. But after that, 2 months into moving to Massachusetts and buying a house, he was gone.
18. What is your favorite base so far? Since we've been moved to four bases and two I-I stations, it's hard to choose. We prefer Air Stations, but the Marine's job is not aviation anything. So, Cherry Point, Twentynine Palms, LeJeune, and Yuma.. they're all about the same, just slight variations in locations and slightly different temperatures. Honestly, there isn't a favorite. I can tell you all the good and evil lurking in all the bases we've been a part of, but we are really LOVING Indianapolis. Our next duty station will be tough to follow Indy..
19. Do you think your spouse looks good in uniform? Is this a joke? Of course he does. He's smoking hot and put on some yummy Blues on him. *swoon*
20. Do you think the military life is more advanced than civilian life? I think it has more sense of honor, duty, camaraderie, brotherhood, and service than civilian life will ever catch a glimpse of. It's true that SERVING together does bring people closer, look at Police, EMT, Ambulance, Firefighters, Military. You don't find that at Apple, Google, etc.
21. Do you like the benefits you receive as a military dependent? Yes. Healthcare, dental, reduced tuitions, free moves across the country, PX, Commissary, (oh how I miss those!), Space A flights, ability to get onto any base/post/etc without 'checking' in, Free Seaworld tickets, reduced entertainment costs, free meals certain times of the year, etc. What's not to love?
22. Do you have a lot of military wife friends? Not really, to be honest. Most of my friends are somehow involved with the military like retired hubby, hubby got out, or their "military brats" themselves, but overall most friends are not military spouses. We don't really relate to a lot of military families since we don't drink and party nor do we have children.
23. What is the hardest part of the military lifestyle? Leaving. Leaving friends, churches, spouses, families, the life you just got accustomed too, etc. Always moving forward and not getting too comfortable.
24. Do you own a lot of military wife stuff? I have a tshirt the Marine purchased for me like 9 years ago, a couple hoodies, and some magnets on the side of the fridge. Overall we keep the Marine Corps stuff out of the home, since the Marine sees it at work all day. Oh, and I have a DoD sticker on my car, does that count?
25. Do you support your spouse as a member of the military? Yes, I do. But I am not a part of his job, either. NO conflict of interests.